Sunday, October 16, 2005

I've said what I said and you know what I mean. But I can't still focus on anything.

Recently i've been dwelling a lot on the question of "Who would I say is the best overall musician around today?" the second and third picks came to me with out hesitation. Number two would be without a doubt Phil Elverum, whom is the leading force behind The Microphones/Mount Eerie. Number three was easily taken by Jason Molina of Songs: Ohia/Magnolia Electric Co. I chose those two mainly because I have a great amount of respect for both of them at a lyrical and musical standpoint. But still the question loomed over me. Then the other day I downloaded the new Sun Kil Moon album Tiny Cities and about half way into the first song it hit me. I with out a doubt would say Mark Kozelek is one of the best modern musicians. Everything he's done from Red House Painters to Sun Kil Moon to his solo career, they've all been great in their own ways.

The main point behind all this jabber and rambling, is the new Sun Kil Moon album.
On Tiny Cities he has taken 11 Modest Mouse songs (old and new) and has re-worked them with the signature Kozelek sound and style. As a whole the album is by far one of the most creative and wonderful sounding things I have heard in awhile.